Bidwell House tells the story of small towns in New England
The history of Bidwell House traces that of New England, as farming in the region boomed in the late 18th century and fell off during the 19th. Built circa 1760, the house originally belonged to the Rev. Adonijah Bidwell, pastor of “Township No. 1,” which would eventually become Monterey and Tyringham.
Bidwell House remained in the family for three generations, and each owner added to the architecture of the house. In addition, the house’s restoration included gardens, which are open to the public.
While the house remains closed and all programming through August, including the Bidwell County Fair, is canceled, the site’s gardens and four miles of hiking trails are still open, free. Maps are available online. Check the Bidwell’s website and Facebook page for updates on remote programming.
Bidwell House Museum